Re: Audio WG requests

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:03:31 -0700
To: Joe Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Stefan HÃ¥kansson <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, Audio Working Group <public-audio@w3.org>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Joe Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > the entire Audio Output API would be implemented, but if we can at least
>>
> > enshrine the ability to use a MediaDeviceInfo.deviceId as the sinkID,
>> that
>> > is enough to allow meaningful output device selection in Web Audio.
>>
>> Doesn't the Audio Output API already cover that?
>>

> Yes, it does -- that's why I suggested that implementing the Audio Output
> API would be ideal. Perhaps that's already agreed, in which case this item
> isn't going to generate much discussion,

To be very specific: The Web Audio API is a much lower-level API than the
Audio Output API.  Or, perhaps, there is a an API that underlies both of
these that is lower level - but the right lowest level to get access to
media output devices is certainly well below assigning a sinkid on a media
element in HTML.

Exposing additional information in this fashion would be great.  Does
>> this have to covered by this iteration of the Media Capture API?  Or
>> can you live with addition of the parameters later, either in a new
>> version or a new specification?  For instance, I'd argue that the
>> Audio Output API is a good place to describe new output-specific
>> attributes.

I think the track count should be added in MC now; it's not
output-specific.