Re: Media Capture and Streams Last Call review

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your recent solicitation of feedback to on the Media Capture
and Streams API, which I passed to the Web Audio Working Group.

The Web Audio WG so far has identified one key item that we would like to
see addressed. The MediaDeviceInfo result from enumerateDevices() (
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-mediacapture-streams-20150414/#idl-def-MediaDeviceInfo)
lacks information that is typically available in the underlying OS
implementations that we think would be very helpful for implementations:

·         Channel count and configuration (Mono, Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc…)

·         Physical Output (Headphone, Speaker, HDMI, …)

·         Latency (this matters a lot for gaming -- it will be very low for
on-board hardware, perhaps quite high for wireless audio bridging like
Apple TV)

·         Output capabilities (bitstream passthrough vs PCM – relevant in
digital media adapter cases (Chromecast, etc))

It is perhaps sufficient from a user interface point of view to have a
string to display, but for a program to be able to either adapt to the user
selection or to guide and default the user selection, the above are pretty
important characteristics, at least in some use cases. Many if not most of
the host OSes that user agents run on expose these sorts of output device
characteristics.

Aside from the difficulty with enumerating devices, there is also perhaps a
need to make it possible for applications to query the set of available
devices with respect to the above charateristics. MediaTrackConstraints and
MediaTrackSettings do not currently  include constraint attributes that map
to items in the above list. And even if they do, arriving at a
practical goodness-of-fit
metric that can be generalized across a spectrum of audio apps may be
difficult.

The same concerns apply to the set of input devices.

Please let us know if this issue makes sense to the group and can be
addressed within the timeframe of the coming run-up to a Last Call WD. We'd
be happy to arrange some sort of inter-WG call to try to make progress on
this together.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Joe Berkovitz