Re: Audio Workers - please review

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>
> wrote:
>
>> main thread set custom wave shapes, read analyzer data, etc. etc.)  It
>>> seems as though if the goal is to be able to implement native nodes with
>>> scripted nodes, this would be necessary, yes?
>>>
>> Is that really the goal here?  I mean, I agree that it would be nice to
> be able to implement other nodes on top of worker nodes in JS, but if that
> is really the goal, there are easier ways of achieving it.  As a food for
> thought, all that one needs to implement the *entire* Web Audio API in JS
> is a way to schedule the playback of an array of audio samples at a
> specific time from a Web Worker.  But I'm much more interested in solving
> the problem of allowing efficient and low latency audio synthesis through
> JS on top of Web Audio right now.

To be clear - yes, this is the goal.  Not to reimplement ALL of the Web
Audio system at once, but build a clear layered system, in Extensible Web
Manifesto fashion - and yes, at the bottom,  there needs to be a system for
the audio output device to continually get a stream of sample blocks from
"the Web Audio system".  But just as similarly, I want to enable efficient,
ZERO latency audio processing nodes, in JS, to enable experimentation and
development of new node types, and that basically means you should be able
to implement native nodes with script.