Re: Round Trip Latency test

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Björn Melinder <bjorn.melinder@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Overall, when looking at all possible audio features and performance, I
> believe HTML5 web audio can get pretty close to the native alternative.
> Meaning, an HTML5 audio app can, given time, compete with native Android /
> iOS / Win / OSX. Most of what I feel are the missing features are already
> being addressed in the spec and in github issues (audio workers, cpu
> parallelization, better midi timing, improved dynamics node, precise
> scheduling, fft-ifft etc). Good job! However, the I/O latency in the
> different web audio implementations (mainly Chrome and Firefox who support
> getUserMedia) could deserve more attention. Currently, only about 20% of
> our [Soundtrap] users have 20ms or less. The I/O latency isn't really
> addressed by the spec, maybe it should, at least as a guiding principle?

I think we all know that low latency is important. The spec doesn't need to
say so.

Please file bugs against browsers when the latency of Web APIs is
significantly higher than the latency of native APIs. Though, if
ScriptProcessorNode is involved, such bugs will probably be treated as less
important since making ScriptProcessorNode have reliably low latency isn't
really possible.

owohooo
oioso
owohooo