Re: Round Trip Latency test

I made an empirical test to measure the latency impact of a
ScriptProcessorNode with 16384 frames:

http://jsfiddle.net/5md6natw/5/

The test starts with a direct path from getUserMedia to
audioContext.destination. Pressing the flip button changes the rendering
path to use a ScriptProcessor in-between. Same context, so the web audio to
hardware i/o latency stays the same.

To run the test, I placed headphones next to my MacBook mic, tapped the mic
and recorded the echo-like noise using my phone. Measured the recorded echo
delay in Audacity, the echo delay was exactly 16384 * 2 samples shorter in
the direct path compared to the script processor path, which corresponds to
the double buffering. So I believe Stephens assumption is correct, and the
nice latency meter shows correct values.

Furthermore, a Chrome developer helped me to disable echo cancellation
which reduced the Mac latency to 20ms :) So maybe the meter could utilize
that to show better numbers? E.g.

var constraints = { audio: { optional: [{ echoCancellation: false }] } };

Cheers,
Björn