DynamicsCompressorNode no automatic make up gain

From: Robin Reumers <robinreumers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 19:18:24 -0700
To: public-audio@w3.org
Hi all,

For educational purposes, I used the DynamicsCompressorNode to teach compression. However, the DynamicsCompressorNode in the Web Audio API uses some sort of automatic make up gain, so it’s not just compressing above a threshold, but actually taking the soft parts up.

For education, it’s important, that I can show this manually to my students, so compression is basically taking the down the signal, above the threshold, by the ratio. Then using a manual make up gain, I can offset why I just compressed and bring all the levels up.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic make up gain added by the DynamicsCompressorNode? I tried linking the reduction meter with a gain offset and doing the exact opposite gain of the reduction, but this only results in glitches and I can’t get it to work properly.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Robin