Re: AudioBufferSourceNode start(0) without a buffer?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Karl Tomlinson <
karlt+public-audio@karlt.net> wrote:

> Chris Wilson writes:
>
> > Do we want to do that, or just throw an exception when start() is called
> > when there's no buffer set (or something like that)?
>
> Could a slight change in order be a common pattern? e.g.
>
>   c = new AudioContex();
>   c.decodeAudioData(data, function () {
>     s = c.createBufferSource();
>     s.connect(c,destination);
>     s.start(0);
>     s.buffer = data;
>   });

If you interchanged s.start(0) and s.buffer=data, then I think that's a
common pattern. I think this has the same issue as before where you start
an empty buffer and assign a new buffer right away. Probably nothing gets
played.

>From the bug report, however, this presents an issue with iOS.

If there are no strong opinions either way, I would prefer backward
compatibility in this case. I suspect many websites will break. In fact,
even one of Chris R's demos breaks because of this. Based on the code, I
think this was the original intent: play the new buffer when it is assigned.