Re: Integer PCM sample formats to Web Audio API?

I'm referring to
http://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/texture-tiling-and-swizzling/,
maybe the bug you mentioned is not an example of that. If it isn't, then
I'd agree that it is a bug and a terrible thing to do to anyone. :D

Is behavior that actually mutates texture formats common across vendors? Or
is it just something that one vendor does because they can do whatever they
want? If this is actually the state of the art and accepted, then I will
have to retract my statement about texture formats (and add another item to
my list of OpenGL gripes...)

My implied reason for swizzling being acceptable, while format conversion
is not, is that swizzling 100% preserves data, even if the layout of
individual elements is altered. If you know the swizzle format you can
trivially access any data you want, unmodified, by permuting the
address(es) appropriately. Format conversion is a different matter and in
some cases is also lossy, which is why it's not so great for an
implementation to force you to allow it to convert formats for you. It's
great as an optional thing, though, since in many cases you don't care what
format you have... I think the current web audio default is totally fine as
long as there is some way to keep audio in a dense format, whether it's
int16 buffers, some sort of PCM approach, or decoding on-the-fly from
mpeg/vorbis/opus (though I would expect the latter to be absurdly
expensive, in comparison).