Resolution on de-zippering Re: [CfC] Consensus gathering for the Dezippering issue

Hi Karl, all,

We discussed this issue again at our last teleconference, and confirmed the resolution to have .value effectively be an alias for setTargetAtTime() - with time constants TBD.

On 23 Dec 2013, at 10:04, Karl Tomlinson <karlt+public-audio@karlt.net> wrote:
> Using an AudioParam transition to dezipper prevents nasty
> surprises on a GainNode, but applying the same transition to some
> other AudioParams would /introduce/ nasty surprises.

Understood, but from what I gathered from our discussions, the group favoured consistency and clarity over the management of many edge case which may or may not “do the right thing”.

If .value is an alias to setTargetAtTime (and thus systematically smoothed) and the spec makes it clear that non-smoothed transition can be achieved through SetValueAtTime(), we’ll have a consistent behaviour that can be explained clearly and taught.

> Please consider my reply to be an objection.

Noted, but not considered an obstacle to moving forward with resolution.

Thanks,
--
Olivier

http://www.bbc.co.uk