Re: Behavior of source nodes on connect/disconnect

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Jussi Kalliokoski <
>> jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't really care about using disconnect as pause, it's not meant for
>>> that and it's not a good solution for that. What I care about is what the
>>> use case / justification for having this weirdness is? A nice-to-have (not
>>> sure this is even a nice-to-have) doesn't really warrant introducing hard
>>> to debug memory leaks. I believe a lot of developers will expect that if
>>> they disconnect a ScriptProcessorNode and lose references to it, it gets
>>> GCed and doesn't burn cycles and / or eat away the performance of the graph
>>> anymore. This is similar to disconnecting a DOM node from the graph. If it
>>> has no references, it gets garbage collected and no more events are fired.
>>>

>> That's not true for DOM nodes in general. For example, a completely
>> disconnected HTML media element that's playing some media resource
>> continues to fire events.
>>

> I also think it would be bizarre for a developer to connect some audio
> node subgraph to the input of a ScriptProcessorNode for analysis, but not
> get events unless the output of that ScriptProcessorNode is connected to
> the DestinationNode.

While I do acknowledge that it is tedious to have to connect analyzer nodes
to the DestinationNode (IIRC I was one of the people pushing for
AnalyzerNode to not have this requirement), I don't think alleviating that
pain point (that can be solved by, well, connecting to the DestinationNode)
is worth the cost.

On the other end there's the tediousness of a ScriptProcessorNode your
module got from another module and you don't know how to make sure it gets
garbage collected. I see that as a much bigger pain point.

Cheers,
Jussi