Re: Behavior of source nodes on connect/disconnect

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> I believe the current understanding is that the nodes would all keep
> playing as if they were connected; that is:
>
> >If you have a (long) source node that has started playing and then you
> disconnect it (completely) after 1 sec from one part of the graph and then
> wait for, say, 1 sec, and connect it to a different (or same?) part of the
> graph, what should happen?
>
> You would "hear" it continue playing (so, from approximately 2 secs in to
> the source node content).

This sounds like a terrible idea. Would that mean that the
ScriptProcessorNode would keep firing onaudioprocess while it's not
connected? If not, then ScriptProcessorNode is again further away from
being usable for polyfilling native nodes. That would also mean that
disconnected fire-and-forget nodes would be unnecessarily eating CPU until
garbage collector eats them.

While the patch cord idea tickles my mind as a musician, disconnecting /
reconnecting cords during the session is often an undesired event due to
popping and other stuff. And if you do want to achieve that unpleasant
effect anyway, you couldn't replicate the pops anyway, so might as well use
a gain node and turn it to 0 when you want to mute and 1 when you want to
continue. What's the use case that cannot be achieved without this weird
feature that has quite unpleasant implications? GC observation is the only
one I can think of (start a lot of workers measuring how long one cycle of
infinite loop takes, fire and forget a convolution node and see when the
execution speed of the cycles in one of the workers grows).

Also worth noting that other graph DSP software I've used doesn't do this,
but instead if you for example reconnect a delay node, it would keep
playing back the feedback it had when disconnected. I also once had a cheap
delay pedal (I think it was a Behringer) that did this.

To me this doesn't sound like something worth doing.

Cheers,
Jussi