Re: DynamicsCompressorNode.reduction is read-only AudioParam ?

Or we could do it that way, yes - have a second Control input, and if it's
not connected, the control signal is taken from the input.

The downside of this is you can't effectively use the compressor as an
envelope follower.  It's possible to do this in other ways, of course
(LP-filtered rectified signal, e.g.), but not with the attack/release
controls.  If we exposed the amount of reduction as an audio node output;
then you can route it however you like, including driving a Gain on another
signal.

Actually, this brings up an excellent point; the compressor does not
explicitly state, but I believe it should be stereo-linked (reduction is
applied uniformly on both channels, based on both inputs, to prevent stereo
image shifting).