W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-audio@w3.org > July to September 2013

[minutes] W3C audio WG teleconference, 2013-08-15

From: Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:42:39 +0000
To: Audio WG <public-audio@w3.org>
Message-ID: <08BFDCA3-E478-48E5-9571-82E17B6353C0@bbc.co.uk>
Dear all,

The minutes of today's Audio WG teleconference are online:
        http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-audio-minutes.html

We quickly reviewed the group's action items, then addressed the topic of web audio spec roles and process.

This discussion was triggered by the stepping down of Chris Rogers as spec editor, effective immediately. There was unanimous acknowledgement of Chris' enormous work and contribution to this group and the web audio API. We spent some time exploring the impact this will have on the group.

Chris Wilson clarified that there is no change in Google's commitment to the group and the spec, and volunteered to take on a role as editor within the next few weeks. All in the group are also encouraged to think about whether you or your organisation would be interested in committing time and effort to this role.

Chris Rogers' departure will signal a change in how we work on the web audio API. Chris was not only the spec editor but also in many ways very much its author. The new editor(s) will work in a way more typical of W3C editors, with the group being the collaborative author and suggesting patches and changes, and the editor(s) in charge of collating the input into a coherent whole. We discussed the possibility of moving web audio spec versioning and issue tracking to Github, as we did for web midi.

There was some concern expressed about the effect of this change of roles and responsibilities on a number of important and time-sensitive decisions (including the audio buffer race condition issue). It is clear that the slow month of August and the group changes are having some impact on how quickly we can make changes to the spec. That said, it was useful to spend time clarifying the various proposals and there is a clear will to get to a decision soon. It was reminded that consensus is still the preferred decision method, and that we plan to go to a vote soon if consensus cannot be reached. More on this from me in the next few days.


Summary of (new) Action Items

* [NEW] ACTION: olivier to contact PSIG to ask for the best course of action re bug 22969 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-audio-minutes.html#action01]

* [NEW] ACTION: olivier to send calendar of how/when we want to go forward on the audiobuffer data races issue [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/15-audio-minutes.html#action02]


Thanks,
--
Olivier





-----------------------------
http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in
error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the
information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to
this.
-----------------------------
Received on Thursday, 15 August 2013 17:43:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 15 August 2013 17:43:09 UTC