Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

2013-08-06 04:20, Chris Wilson skrev:
> See, I read two different things from this.  Marcus, I heard you say
> the comment about not being describable in JS was in specific
> reference to threading and memory sharing not being part of the
> current model; from Alex, I heard "open your mind to what JS *could*
> be, and then describe everything in one model" - in part, the nodes'
> behaviors themselves should be described in JS, albeit of course not
> necessarily run in JS.
>
> The latter (as I'd previously expressed to Alex) is fine with me; I'd
> be fine describing how delay nodes work in JS.  However, high-quality
> glitch-free audio requires a number of things that aren't available to
> JS today - notably, a separate thread with restricted execution
> capabilities (i.e. not arbitrary JavaScript) and no garbage collection
> that can have elevated priority, and access to the physical hardware,
> of course.  It's not at all impossible to imagine how to describe Web
> Audio if you have those capabilities; and the memory sharing we're
> discussing under the rubric of race conditions is really whether that
> somewhat different execution environment supports those or not.

I have always been a strong supporter of being able to describe and
implement as much as possible of the API in JS, and I agree that there
are certainly some important aspects missing in the JS execution
environment that make a practical implementation in JS impossible
(including access to audio HW and low-level control over thread
execution etc). You should, however, still be able to implement the
/behavior/ of the API in JS (as an exercise - imagine implementing an
OfflineAudioContext in JS - I don't see why it shouldn't be possible).

I might have misinterpreted Alex's point (I thought he was referring to
the shared data in the API interfaces, but of course there may be more
things to it). However, from the perspective of making the Web Audio API
describable in JS terms, I still think that the issue of exposing shared
data interfaces to JS is a key deficiency in the current design, mostly
because:

* It makes it impossible to express operations such as
AudioBuffer.getChannelData() in JS terms.
* Since the interfaces are exposed to JS, the /only/ way to make them
JS-friendly would be to change/extend the JS memory model (which is a
much bigger task than to change the Web Audio API model).
* It's not in any way necessary for achieving the goal "glitch-free,
reasonably-low-latency audio".

In fact, I believe it should be fully possible to implement the Web
Audio API without using shared /mutable/ data internally (provided that
we drop the shared data model from the interfaces). Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could solve most things by passing
read-only references to data buffers between threads (which would be
semantically equivalent to passing copies around) and still have the
same memory/speed/latency performance. That would make it a moot point
whether or not shared data must be part of a potential fictional
execution environment or not.

/Marcus

--
Marcus Geelnard