Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

From: Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:16:18 +0200
To: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Cc: Adam Goode <agoode@google.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>, List <www-tag@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Adam Goode <agoode@google.com> wrote:
>
> That document is a bit misleading/outdated when it comes to data races
> being "harmless". This more recent article illustrates these issues:
>
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/01/06/benign-data-races-what-could-possibly-go-wrong
>

> Perhaps you can clarify something for me.  In both the above page and the
> one Ehsan linked to earlier (<http://blog.regehr.org/archives/490>), a
> "data race" occurrs when two threads are writing to the same memory.  In
> the WebAudio API "data races" we are discussing, the main thread is
> potentially writing to memory which the audio thread is reading.  I.e., the
> audio thread never writes to these buffers.

Actually, that's not true. See my example here:

http://people.opera.com/mage/test/webaudio-shared-data.html

(...as discussed in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2013JulSep/0321.html).

It's definitely a case of the audio thread writing to a buffer that the JS
main thread can observe.

/Marcus