Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

From: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 08:41:49 -0700
Cc: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org, List <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Adam Goode <agoode@google.com>

On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Adam Goode <agoode@google.com> wrote:

> That document is a bit misleading/outdated when it comes to data races being "harmless". This more recent article illustrates these issues:
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/01/06/benign-data-races-what-could-possibly-go-wrong

Perhaps you can clarify something for me.  In both the above page and the one Ehsan linked to earlier (<http://blog.regehr.org/archives/490>), a "data race" occurrs when two threads are writing to the same memory.  In the WebAudio API "data races" we are discussing, the main thread is potentially writing to memory which the audio thread is reading.  I.e., the audio thread never writes to these buffers.

Should this still be considered a "data race"?

-Jer