Re: Preparing the vote on the data race issue

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:58:09 +1200
To: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Cc: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>, Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>, WG <public-audio@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
> I don't think so. Scripts can observe whether the AudioBuffer passed in an
> event is the same as AudioBuffers previously passed to the event, by
> storing a reference to the previous AudioBuffers and comparing references.
> Even worse, someone might do something like
> scriptProcessorNode.onprocess = function (event) {
> bufferList.push(event.inputBuffer); };
> in which case it definitely matters whether AudioBuffers are being reused!
>

> Well, this isn’t a change from the existing spec.  So if you believe this
> is underspecified, we should fix it regardless of the outcome of the data
> race issue.

That's totally true. Unfortunately it interacts with the clarifications
you'll need to make (and mine too), so I think we should fix it right now.

I believe the simplest and least-surprising approach is to give each
AudioProcessingEvent fresh values for inputBuffer and outputBuffer, so
that's what I think we should do.

waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*