Fwd: memory footprint of AudioBuffer data copies

From: Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:50:24 -0400
To: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>, WG WG <public-audio@w3.org>
Jer,

One of the main issues raised by Chris Wilson with respect to your proposal was memory footprint with respect to bulk synthesis of large AudioBuffers, and the overhead for copying them.

Let me ask a leading question: isn't one of the side benefits of the AudioBufferChannel.set() method the fact that it allows one to populate an AudioBuffer in chunks of a manageable size? It seems to me that if bulk synthesis can be performed in reasonable-size chunks, each of which is passed to the set() method to be copied into the corresponding subrange of the buffer, the maximum memory overhead due to copying can be constrained to 2x the chunk size.

If true, this doesn't completely remove Chris W's concern but it does mean that a chunked approach to buffer synthesis can mitigate overhead in a low-memory environment.

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC
Boston, Mass.