Re: setTargetAtTime and the meaning of .value in the spec

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:
>
> The computedValue is an internal value which also includes (by summing in)
> all audio-rate connections to the param, but the V0 and V1 values are not
> meant to include that part.  It's really the last "intrinsic" value as
> described in the spec which matters here.
>

> I want to check my understanding. IIRC, using "intrinsic value" will
> result in the next automation event picking up where the previous one (as
> defined by an initial assignment to .value, or subsequent call to
> setTarget/ValueAtTime) left off.  In the case where other audio-rate
> connections to the param exist, the use of the "computedValue" would result
> in other unpredictable offsets being included in the starting value of the
> new automation event.
>
> Is this correct? If so, then yes, it sounds like "intrinsic value" is a
> desirable way to define this.

Yes, the automation has always been associated with the "intrinsic value".
 I think that's consistent with what the spec says, but we can add
additional clarification if necessary....

Basically, the audio-rate connections are summed in only at the final stage
(after .value and automation events have been calculated for the intrinsic
value)