Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

On Friday, July 26, 2013, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> A couple more general comments on the feedback:
>
> In the discussion of data races, it's not completely clear to me whether
> the current situation (as implemented in Webkit/Blink) is considered by the
> TAG to be "impermissible visible data races". Can you clarify that?

Yes, to my (perhaps wrong) understanding of the situation, what Blink does
is unacceptable.

> Jer Noble has suggested on this list that ArrayBuffer neutering should be
> avoided in Web API design because it causes performance issues for JSC. See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2013AprJun/0678.html and
> following messages. What's the TAG's position on that?

That JSC's parochial concerns must not bleed out into the web. Buffer
neutering is one way to solve it; I assume there are others. But
regardless, it must be solved. No API must introduce observable data races
to JavaScript.