Re: Proposal for fixing race conditions

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I just checked with SpiderMonkey folks.  The way that SM handles this is
> by separating the typed array "type" information based on the allocation
> site, and only deoptimize the access for typed arrays that share the same
> "type", so if you have a typed array that gets neutered in location X in
> your code, it will only deoptimize the accesses for typed arrays coming
> from that place in the code.
>
> So, no, SM doesn't suffer from the same problem as JSC does, and I see no
> reason why this cannot be fixed in JSC (well, other than engineering time,
> the complexity of the fix and all of the other usual suspects.)  But like I
> said, this is already affecting other parts of the web platform anyway.
>

> This still implies either a memory or CPU cost in tracking the allocations
> sites for every ArrayBuffer.

Absolutely!  Neutering an array buffer is not a free operation.  I was just
trying to say that the pathological behavior that JSC has is a bug in JSC
which can be fixed, given the fact that there is at least one other
implementation which implements the same concept without suffering from
this problem.

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>