Re: Channel up-mixing / down-mixing, how to compute num channels of connection?

Let me try to clarify.  Some of the nodes in the graph have pre-determined
number of channels, such as AudioBufferSourceNode or PannerNode.  Some
other types follow the mixing rules.  A pseudo-code algorithm like below
will give you the number of channels that currentNodes sees on its *input*:

function GetInputChannelCount(array<AudioNode> inputNodes, AudioNode
currentNode) {
  if (currentNode is AudioBufferSourceNode or PannerNode etc) {
    skip the computation; // because the number of input channels doesn't
matter
  } else {
    if (currentNode.channelCountMode == "explicit") {
      return currentNode.channelCount;
    }
    var numberOfChannels = 1;
    for each (node in inputNodes) {
      numberOfChannels = max(numberOfChannels, node.channelsProducedByNode);
    }
    if (currentNode.channelCountMode == "clamped-max") {
      numberOfChannels = min(numberOfChannels, currentNode.channelCount);
    }
    return numberOfChannels;
  }
}

Once you have the result of GetInputChannelCount, you look at the buffer
produced by each input node, up/down-mix it to the correct channel count
according to the mixing rules, and then mix all of the input buffers
together, and pass that as the input buffer to currentNode.  The same thing
happens recursively starting from the source nodes in your graph until you
get to the destination node.

Does this make sense?

--
Ehsan