Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

Hey,

This is a conversation I wish we had had a long time ago (and one which I
actually attempted to start a few times). Multiple points here:

1. Web Audio API is not webby: I agree, and have been ranting about this
enough already. Let's fix this.
2. Angry Birds for Chrome used as an example: AFAIK it's using GWT so given
that the GWT library for audio they're using gets fixed to use the latest
API, I don't see a reason why the guys behind the game would refuse to
update the library, from what I've seen the company is pretty adamant about
compatibility.
3. Firefox implementing webkitAudioContext: a terrible idea, I seriously
doubt the current usage of the API warrants for that. My hunch, backed with
a few Google searches, is that most of the parties shipping relevant
applications (non-tech-demos with significant user base) relying on Web
Audio API are tuned in on this mailing list.
4. Data races: I don't think the first version of the API should even have
something that needs design to avoid races, but that's another story. Let's
fix this, data races are something we can't ship with. Performance nor
release schedules shouldn't have a higher priority than this does.
5. Blink keeping the obsolete API surface for an undefined time: thinking
that Microsoft has been doing what's best for the web and owning up to
their mistakes, dropping HTML conditionals, DX filters, document.all and
friends that most certainly have bigger usage than the Web Audio API, I
think Google can own up to this if the willpower is there. Not a fair
comparison, and Google isn't the only one responsible here (it took a
significant amount of time for us to get other browser vendors active on
this WG), but it's still true.

Developers will forget the pain of having to learn new names for things,
but if we ship them a broken API that won't go away, that's hard to forget.

Cheers,
Jussi

P.S. I'm extremely sorry for my absence on the WG, I've been really busy.
Also, I'm representing myself, not my employer in writing this and yadda
yadda.