Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> Hmm.  I'm not sure what to say.

I'm not sure what to say either.

> I'm not sure we're coming out so far ahead as you think we are.

It's stark enough. Existing content (of which there is a fair bit) works in
Chrome and not Firefox. We believe we can (mostly) fix this situation in
Firefox, but you think it should persist for some unspecified period of
time (at least until Chrome implements unprefixed, nicely-standardized
AudioContext, perhaps indefinitely if we have difficulty evangelizing
webkitAudioContext-only users) --- for the sake of a cleaner Web Audio spec.

The best thing that will happen to web audio will be for us to hammer out
> the last few issues, Mozilla to ship unprefixed, Webkit and Blink to also
> ship compatible implementations with that, us all collectively to
> evangelize the heck out of that, and in a year, this will not be a problem.

We can't choose to be incompatible with Web content for another year.

As in many other areas that we've had this discussion over the past year
> and a half - if Mozilla ships a webkit-prefixed property, I think it's game
> over, and that prefix (and any associated oddities) are going to be part of
> the standard forever.  It's not a question of eventually removing it then.

If this matters to you, then drop webkitAudioContext from Chrome.

Jtehsauts tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy Mdaon yhoaus eanuttehrotraiitny eovni le
atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o Whhei csha iids teoa
stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d 'mYaonu,r "sGients uapr,e tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm
aotr atnod sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t" uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n? gBoutt uIp waanndt
wyeonut thoo mken.o w