Re: Can users determine if audio has glitched?

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM, John Byrd <jbyrd@giganticsoftware.com>wrote:

> Yes, they're easy to implement but priorities only tend to work well for
> trivial nodegraphs.  Once you get into complicated nodegraphs with
> arbitrary node priorities you'll find that bizarre audio dropouts and the
> like begin occurring.

OK. Still sounds better than #1 (per-node deadlines don't help if there are
too many nodes), or #3 (doing expensive processing when you're already
overloaded sounds mad).

One way of improving this situation somewhat is to have node priorities
> flow downstream with signal flow; however this capability is not
> contemplated in the current Web Audio design.

What if you limit the use of priorities to source nodes? It seems to me
that would work well for a lot of simple applications, at least. Even for
many complicated networks, it seems to me it would work well, since if all
the inputs to a node are dropped we can optimize the processing of that
node for many types of nodes.

q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq
qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqeqmq.q qAqnqdq qiqfq qyqoquq
qdqoq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qaqrqeq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qyqoquq,q
qwqhqaqtq qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq
qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq qdqoq qtqhqaqtq.q"