Re: Fwd: Serialization/introspection of the node graph

Hi John!

I see your point. However, I think that one of the goals of the Web Audio
API is to be minimal, for good reasons. For a Web standard, less is more.
IMO, the most important role of a Web standard is to act as a technology
enabler. Higher level solutions are much better implemented as JS
libraries built on top of Web APIs.

Keep in mind that many different browser vendors need to implement the
same functionality, with the exact same behavior and similar performance,
and that the technology will be rolled out over a fairly long period of
time (years). The more complex the API specification, the more likely that
the roll out process will be longer.

An example of a Web API that is not very simple to interact with is WebGL.
You have to learn and implement tons of stuff just to get an animated 3D
model up and running. This is where higher level frameworks, such as
Three.js, come to the rescue.

I expect there to be similar higher level audio libraries built on top of
the Web Audio API, and functionality such as sub-graph instancing sounds
like a good fit for such a library.

Like a Web standard, a JS lib is available to everyone, and (if well
designed) has the exact same behavior on all browsers. The major
difference, however, is that a JS lib can be made available instantly
(e.g. through github), whereas a Web standard can take years before it's
100% deployed (in the case of WebGL - we're getting close to a decade now).

/Marcus

--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/