Re: DynamicsCompressorNode

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Frederick Umminger <
frederick.umminger@gmail.com> wrote:

> This basic idea has been adopted, and even legislated, for digital TV
> (CALM act). The digital TV
> standards are being promoted for console gaming, per the link I sent
> earlier. The relevant standards
> are EBU R128 and ATSC RP A/85. The adopted measure of loudness is ITU-R
> BS.1770. It would
> be a mistake to use any other loudness measurement or use any other
> standard average level.
>
> A result is that streaming video content is likely to be mastered
> according to these standards.
> This will lead to level mismatches between video and other web audio
> content unless the other
> web content follows the same standards, or unless the video is remastered
> to a different level.
> But, without a standard, what level would that be?
>
> Something to also consider is the health and safety aspect. If audio
> levels on web pages vary
> too much then there is a danger of users getting blasted by unexpectedly
> loud audio when they
> transition from a quiet page to a loud one.
>
> The situation is even worse if one is listening to web audio content on a
> smart TV system that
> where one can switch between web browsing, video streaming, DVD and
> Blu-ray playback, apps,
> and console gaming. There is a huge potential for annoyingly inconsistent
> audio levels.
>
> Levels could be enforced over a long-time average with a very slow-acting
> compressor/limiter.
> The result would be transparent if the time-constant is large enough.
> At some slow-enough rate the phenomenom of change-blindness should take
> place,
> where a user cannot tell that the level is changing.
>

> Sincerely,
>    Frederick

It's up to the content authors to create content which is well-mastered
according to any loudness standard.  The job of the Web Audio API is to
play back the content as it's been mastered bit-for-bit perfectly.  In the
end the AudioContext just generates a linear PCM stream between -1 -> +1.

Think of it this way.  If we pipe an <audio> element with a very well
produced music track into the Web Audio API with a visualizer, we don't
want to add any extra processing on top of that.

Chris