Re: DynamicsCompressorNode

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Frederick Umminger <
frederick.umminger@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com>wrote:
>>

>> Well, why not have a hardcoded limiter that cannot be overridden? Sounds
>> like it would provide higher quality with no way to "cheat the system".
>> This would prevent loudness war and "ads are so loud" issues right from
>> the start. The compressor could still be used an an optional "effect"
>> but the clipping issue would be avoided as part of the design itself.
>>

> I agree, that is the best way to prevent loudness-wars issues from
> cropping up in WebAudio.
> A hard-coded compressor/limiter in the browser should be designed to do
> nothing if levels are within a certain reasonable range, and to enforce the
> loudness standard if levels are outside that range.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of a hard-coded compressor/limiter, but if
there were one then I wouldn't want it touching the signal at all if the
signal remains below 0dBFS.  Sound designers/producers take great care to
master their music using their own mastering compressors/limiters, etc. so
should have the option (the default) to pass their signal through cleanly
without any processing at all.  In other words a "straight wire".  My idea
with the DynamicsCompressorNode is that developers can choose to use it,
especially in cases where they may be mixing multiple sound sources
together, in which case it can help glue the mix together.

Chris