Re: DynamicsCompressorNode

Jean-Marc,

Most music compressors are applied to a full-band signal.
Mastering compressors and especially loudness maximizers often use per-band
processing.

Soft-clipping will add distortion to the sound whereas a good
compressor/limiter will not.
Also, depending on the algorithm, often soft-clipping quickly turns into
just plain clipping as the input gets louder.

Head room is often the best way to prevent clipping,but it can conflict
with a desire to maximize the loudness.
Without an enforced standard for head room there is an inevitable creep
towards 0 dB FS.
With regards to this, perhaps the Web Audio API should somehow incorporate
the proposed game console loudness standard (
http://gameaudiopodcast.com/ASWG-R001.pdf ), which is based on proven
television loudness standards,
I'm not sure how this could be enforced though, other than through dynamics
processing within the browser.

Sincerely,
    Frederick