[Web MIDI API] enumerate is misnomer

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:06:49 +0000
To: "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
Hi,
IMHO, enumerateInputs() and enumerateOutputs() are misnomers (apart from being somewhat hard to type and confusingly named). From reading the spec, my understanding is that methods just "get" a copy of the currently available to the system at the time the method is invoked. The methods don't actually "enumerate" anything in this sense (i.e., give you a number or iterate over a sequence using numbers, etc). Can I kindly request that those two methods be renamed:

getInputs();
getOutputs();

or just:
inputs()
outputs()

The above are shorter and more closely match the intent of the methods, which is specified as:
"Returns a list of the MIDI input ports available on the system."
"Returns a list of the MIDI output ports available on the system."

The above definitions should also clarify that these are not a live list (i.e., are not updated as new midi devices are updated or removed from the device).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au