Re: [MIDI]: collapsing MIDIMessage into MIDIEvent

From: James Ingram <j.ingram@netcologne.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:24:54 +0100
To: public-audio@w3.org
CC: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
Sitting on the user side, I'd like to keep MIDIMessage objects in the
API (separate from MIDIEvent).

1. The API is actually very small. Increasing its size by including a
separate MIDIMessage does not make the API significantly more difficult
to understand.

2. I want to have a MIDIMessage constructor for creating messages, and
I'd prefer that to be handled by the API. I don't want to have to think
about UInt8Arrays. If MIDIMessages exist (for that reason), it makes
sense to expect to find them in MIDIEvents too.

Question: Does a MIDIMessage constructor need to be put in the spec?

Possible suggestion (ignore at your pleasure): It would be convenient if
MIDIOutput could also send a MidiEvent. I seem to remember that the
'send' function used to be called 'sendMIDIMessage'. Maybe that change
should be reverted, and MIDIOutput could also be given a 'sendMidiEvent'
function.

best,
James