Re: AudioBuffer mutability

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <
> srikumarks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although that's true, the getChannelData() API suggests a symmetry of
>> buffer access between the JS side and the audio system. If the buffer were
>> to be read+write locked upon binding to a source node, we'd end up with a
>> reference to a typed array on the JS side that can neither be written to
>> nor read from ... which is a very unusual state to leave a common JS object
>> in.
>>

> I wouldn't say that, since typed arrays being transferred to Web Workers
> --- the closest analogue the Web platform currently has to the situation
> we're talking about --- work exactly like this.
>
> To isolate the two sides, the AudioBuffer API has to change to something
>> like this -
>>
>> var f32 = new Float32Array([...]);
>> var buf = context.createBuffer(numChannels, numFrames, sampleRate);
>> buf.writeChannelData(chan, f32, offset);
>> buf.readChannelData(chan, f32, offset);
>>
>> If a buffer is "in use", then the write can be specd to complete after a
>> render quantum and the read can be specd to block during the current render
>> quantum (or perhaps take a callback argument for async read). The "f32"
>> then remains exclusive to JS land.
>>

> Something like that would work.
>
> I've got another suggestion though, which I think is simpler and more
> compatible with existing usage:
> -- Neuter ArrayBuffers on first start() using the buffer, as I proposed
> before
> -- If getChannelData() is called on the AudioBuffer after its ArrayBuffers
> have been neutered, make a copy of the underlying data and return it in a
> fresh ArrayBuffer.

But we're talking about copying potentially megabytes of data.  This is
inefficient, especially on resource-constrained mobile devices.

Once again, my position is that this "concurrency" issue is not a
real-world problem, and is only a theoretical one.  And we have pretty good
evidence that this is the case.  Any proposed solutions involving copying
of megabytes of data are creating even worse problems.