Re: Web Audio API sequencer capabilities

From: Patrick Borgeat <patrick.borgeat@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 18:16:17 +0200
Cc: Patrick Borgeat <patrick.borgeat@gmail.com>, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>, Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <srikumarks@gmail.com>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, "public-audio@w3.org Group" <public-audio@w3.org>
To: Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>
Hi,

Am 06.10.2012 um 18:00 schrieb Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>:

> On Oct 6, 2012, at 4:09 AM, Patrick Borgeat <patrick.borgeat@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the GainNode doesn't produce a signal we would need to feed him a Unity signal, but all the possibilities I see in the API would require the developer to specify the lifetime of the unity signal (I think it would be more straightforward for a UnitySourceNode to be collected automatically).
>
> Just addressing this one part of your question -- Doesn't a looped AudioBufferSourceNode with a single unity sample supply a unity signal with arbitrary lifetime?
>
> .Joe

It does, but I have to specify the lifetime explicitly via start/stop (if I'm not missing something). While this is doable it's also very cumbersome, because I need to keep track of that node and signal it to stop, when I 'm stopping the main node I want to control, otherwise the whole subgraph isn't collected. I see now, that it would be hard/impossible to do a source node that doesn't work that way (as it has to keep the playing reference to itself, otherwise the whole envelope/subgraph would be collected).