Re: MediaStream integration

From: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:19:15 -0700
To: Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Cc: "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK <
stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not a regular on this list (but active in the Media Capture TF and the
> webrtc WG).
>
> However, I noted that the Web Audio API now allows a MediaStream to be a
> source. This is really cool, and even more so is that implementations are
> available. I did some testing, and it seems to work just fine.
>
> I have one suggestion though: instead of having a MediaStream as source
> input (and selecting the audio track with index 0 - if present - in that
> MediaStream as the source), I think it would be better to have a
> MediaStreamTrack (of kind "audio" of course) as source. In this way it is
> more straightforward for the web app developer to pick the tracks she/he
> wants as sources.

Hi Stefan, thanks for checking this out.  I agree that we'll need a way to
create a source node from a MediaStreamTrack, but I think the direct method
taking a MediaStream is also good for many simple cases.

Currently the method looks like this:
MediaStreamAudioSourceNode createMediaStreamSource(MediaStream mediaStream);

I think it should be easily possible to overload this method and also
accept a MediaStreamTrack...

Cheers,
Chris