Re: noteOn/noteOff and node lifetimes ...

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM, lonce wyse <lonce.wyse@zwhome.org> wrote:

> Hello -
>
>     While I see the issues with having to manage voices (eg overlapping
> note-ons, sending different parameters to different notes), I don't see why
> a good solution is to have  AudioBufferSourceNode behave in a manner
> inconsistent with all other Nodes. Not being able to keep references and
> node connections around for reuse for one type of node but not others is
> confusing and makes code hard to manage and read.

I don't think it's that hard to understand the difference between the
concept of dynamic sounds with a limited life-time versus long-lived
sources such as live-audio and streamed music sources.  The idea that some
nodes like Oscillator and AudioBufferSourceNode will automatically
disconnect themselves from the graph when they are finished is a powerful
feature because it gives automatic (for free) dynamic voice allocation,
allowing the dynamic sources to "just work" without a lot of messing around
with manual management that would otherwise be necessary.  And I also don't
think that it's quite true that you can't keep references and node
connections around for re-use.  For example, you can use a single
Oscillator in a long-lived use case, for example in a monosynth application
where you have total control of its lifetime (by never calling noteOff())
and controlling the amplitude and filter envelopes to create the notes.

>     There are other solutions - in a synthesis system I once wrote (not
> unlike webaudio), note on/offs and parameters were given unique IDs so that
> they could be properly matched (there was even a special "all" ID so that
> one could, for example, bend the pitch of all notes with one call).

Yes, but in the current solution we already have this notion of ID, where
the ID is an instance of an AudioBufferSourceNode or Oscillator.  This is
much simpler than having to invent yet another concept.

>     Obviously, you don't want to have your average game developer keeping
> track of IDs for notes. But this issue highlights what I see as a critical
> threat to webaudio - that it falling into the classic HCI trap of trying to
> meet the needs of at least two very different groups - sound developers and
> sound users. Sound developers should be trusted to create the sounds and
> systems with user-targeted interfaces as fast as webaudio provides
> developer-strength audio components and developer-oriented APIs!

I'm not sure that I agree that the groups will always be so different as
you think.  There are many game developers who are very interested in music
and synthesis, and vice versa.  Hybrid applications involving some aspects
of both is a very rich area in my opinion.

I'm really trying to understand exactly what types of applications are
being made more difficult by the current design as compared with any other.
 You mentioned IDs, etc. but we effectively have that already.

Chris