Re: noteOn/noteOff and node lifetimes ...

From: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:00:36 -0700
To: Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <srikumarks@gmail.com>
Cc: Audio Working Group <public-audio@w3.org>
On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Srikumar Karaikudi Subramanian <
srikumarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It appears that the Oscillator node's setup code for the
> "basic waveforms" is needlessly run for every node ("voice")
> instantiated. To avoid repeating the waveform setup code,
> can we perhaps delegate the task of creating the basic
> waveforms to the AudioContext object instead of the Oscillator
> node? i.e. AudioContext.createWaveTable(type) can be
> overloaded to return a wave table of the requested basic
> waveform which can then be assigned to any number of
> oscillator nodes.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Kumar, I see you must have been poking around in the WebKit source code
to see this :)
You've indeed found an inefficiency in the implementation, and might
consider filing a WebKit bug about this.  But, it's an implementation
detail and can be optimized there, without needing to modify the API.

Cheers,
Chris