Re: Help needed with a sync-problem

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

> Peter, as Jussi has pointed out.  This is a sad fact of life and "not a
> bug".  If you read more carefully what Jussi says, this lag/latency is not
> something we can somehow fix by creating a different API.  This is the way
> that a real-time audio thread interacting with a main thread (which can
> have its own delays such as garbage collection) must be.  It's a law of
> physics.

On the contrary, you can have high-latency processing nodes (e.g. JS
workers with a high context switch time, large-window ducking effects)
without introducing lag, *if* you can precompute the values of their inputs
far enough ahead in time. Then you can run the high-latency nodes early and
get the results in time to play them. MSP did this. I think for Peter's
application this would be a fine approach.

However, it's true you can't always do things that way. Precomputation
requirements add latency to interactive graph changes and to "live" graph
inputs (e.g. getUserMedia). Cycles with low internal delay also limit
precomputation within the cycle.

Precomputation adds complexity, and for the sake of implementing the
current Web Audio proposal I've dropped support for precomputation
internally for now. However, I think in the future we'll want to support an
MSP-like precomputation regime for parts of the audio graph where it's
needed. I'm unsure of the best way to expose it to authors though ...
handling situations where features conflict is tricky.

than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]