Detecting time-averaged levels

From: Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:00:25 -0400
To: Audio Working Group <public-audio@w3.org>
A number of scenarios in the Use Case document require a time-averaged level for some audio pathway -- maybe something like an RMS using a rolling average of squared signal values.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I have missed any simple way of calculating such a level, or whether one must fall back to a JavaScriptAudioNode to do this.  It kind of seems natural for a RealtimeAnalyzerNode to do this even though it's not frequency-domain data.

Regards,

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC