Re: AudioContext introspection

From: Ray Bellis <ray@bellis.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 07:54:38 -0700
To: public-audio@w3.org
On 03/08/2012 03:23, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do we have an issue already regarding the need for introspection
> into any given AudioContext?

Yes!

> I have been looking at a number of demos recently, and thought it
> would be a good learning playground if anyone could open the js
> console in their browser, find an AudioContext, walk its nodes and
> act on it.

AFAIK that's currently impossible.

> For one thing, there have been quite a few occasions when I'd want to
> insert an AudioGainNode to mute a few demos without a start/stop
> control.
>
> As far as I can tell though, there is no easy way to do such
> introspection. I quickly discussed it with Chris Lowis today, and he
> mentioned an earlier thread, which I do remember somewhat but
> haven't found yet in our archives. Nor do we seem to have a Bugzilla
> issue tracking this.

It appears to be expected that applications needing this functionality
would maintain their own (duplicate) state graph.

Personally, I'd rather not have to...

> Two (and a half) questions: * Is there a way to do this which I've
> simple overlooked? * Anyone remembers when the discussion on this
> topic happened, and could find a pointer? And am I missing the issue
> in which this is being tracked/discussed?

There was some discussion in the thread I started about 6 weeks ago.
Peter van der Noord also raised it in his first posting to the list.

kind regards,

Ray