Re: monophonic sequencer app - feedback?

From: r baxter <baxrob@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:37:32 -0700
To: olivier Thereaux <olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:51 AM, olivier Thereaux
<olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Very nice Roby. I like how intuitive the keyboard controls are.

Thanks Olivier.  Nice to know the controls seems intuitive, indeed!

> You might want to limit the pace value set by the user: anywhere beyond 1000 gets me clicks, and eventually the app slows down to near-halt on a reasonably modern laptop + Chrome canary.

Aye, good point.  I'd mostly been working/testing with "pace" values
under 1000.

I wonder how much this is a machine/cpu capacity issue...  I realized,
after experimenting and reflecting a bit, that my code is guaranteed
to break with "pace" > 1406, as everything occurs within the jsNode
buffer-frame of 2048 samples, and I'm only handling one note
transition per buffer (so, if my math-brain is working rightly,
60/(bufferSize/sampleRate) is the fastest that my code will reliably
handle note/step transitions).

I think I should update it to limit the "pace" value to such.  Where
you say "clicks, and eventually the app slows down to near-halt", is
definitely what I get with values above 1500 or so.

Thanks much,
Rb