Re: Testing and Test Driver

From: Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:17:22 +0200
To: public-audio@w3.org
Den 2012-07-19 01:00:18 skrev Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>:

> Hi, folks-

[snip ;) ]

> Thoughts?

Generally, I'm positive to early testing and DFT (design for test)
methodology. However, the current state of the Web Audio API poses a few
issues:

* Much of the signal processing behavior of the audio API is undefined,
meaning that the majority of semantic tests are currently impossible to
write based on the spec. Here, writing the tests and writing the spec
would go hand-in-hand, and can probably only be done successfully by the
editor.

* Generally speaking, writing tests would more often than not require
changes/additions to the spec (e.g. turning non-normative wording into
normative text), and I don't really see how we can do that efficiently
unless the test writers are also spec writers in one way or the other.

* I sincerely hope that several of the interfaces will change (method
names etc), which means that trivial interface tests are likely to have to
be rewritten at least once.

/Marcus

--
Marcus Geelnard