Re: Thoughts and questions on the API from a modular synth point of view

From: Peter van der Noord <peterdunord@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:45:56 +0200
Cc: Raymond Toy <rtoy@google.com>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
To: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>

> I would point out that using oscillators for LFOs, et al, you would likely want very careful control over when the waveform starts - in which case, having a separate noteOn method is actually quite useful.

You are right, but the naming is weird since an oscillator itself has nothing to do with notes that can be turned on or off. I'd call them start() and stop().

> Wouldn't you actually want to set up a sync relationship between two oscillators instead?  Having to deal with calling a sync method a thousand times a second seems odd to me.  But Chris has probably thought of this.

It's not that odd. Resetting an osc when used as lfo is often done with the beat, for example to create temposynced filtersweeps (just listen to any dubstep song to hear that effect). While that reset indeed isnt called thousands times per second, it's an often used (easy and cheap, cpu wise) soundsynthesis technique to create strange harmonics as well (two oscs at audible but different frequencies, one of them syncing the other). A lot of analog and digital oscillators have a sync input for this purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillator_sync