W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-audio@w3.org > January to March 2012

Re: W3C TPAC2012 - Will your group meet in Lyon, France WBS

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:40:18 -0700
Message-ID: <CAJK2wqUPfe6kY5h8hWxKufg=6tANheFD0tBgLV8o-nU+1VJAbA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: tmichel@w3.org, public-audio@w3.org
I realized that Ian Jacobs had, in fact, responded to my post back in
February on this topic.  Hopefully "be more thoughtful about conflicting
with Halloween in 2013" will translate to not actually scheduling over it;
or,  enough others will end up not going to make it clear that it's a
problem.

Y'know, or it's just me, and I'll just cope.  :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: W3C TPAC2012 - Will your group meet in Lyon, France WBS
To: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: tmichel@w3.org, public-audio@w3.org


Chris,

as a chair (and AC rep) I can sympathize with your plea. For one thing, it
makes it more difficult for me to get everyone in the room and to liaise
with other key groups when the choice of date makes it difficult for group
participants to join.

( Obligatory/shameless pointer to the TPAC poll for this group's
participants: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/46884/f2f2012/ )

I think w3c-ac-forum and/or the chairs mailing-list would be the ideal
forums to raise this issue. You may or may not need to get Raman to speak
on your behalf - not sure what the rules are.

HTH,
Olivier


On 20 Mar 2012, at 19:34, "Chris Wilson" <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

I'm happy to take this to W3C management - just need to know who to take it
up with.  Doug?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:

>
>
> Le 20/03/2012 18:21, Chris Wilson a écrit :
>
>  Indeed, scheduling a large meeting of any kind is a challenge.  However,
>> this is two years in a row that the TPAC has been scheduled over Halloween
>> - last fall I simply skipped the first day of TPAC in order to take my
>> daughters trick-or-treating, and took a very early flight in on Tuesday
>> morning. That's not an option this year (Halloween is Wednesday, and the
>> travel itself will take the better part of a day).
>>
>> My problem with the W3C's scheduling is that this is a well-known family
>> occasion - perhaps particularly so in the US - and there really are not
>> that many such holidays to avoid during the year (Christmas, New Year's,
>> Thanksgiving).
>>
>
>
>
> Seriouslly, you should report this to the W3C management. Because if
> people do not raise the issue it will keep on going.
> And I agree that it is annoying.
> We also miss every year the 01 Nov / 11 Nov  for TPAC. And 01 May and 08
> may and sometime the ability to vote for our french president election ...
> du to TPAC/AC meetings ...
>
> Thierry.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  It is disappointing, since (obviously) I find the TPAC of
>
>> great value, but I figure I will get approximately five more Halloweens
>> with my oldest daughter before she won't have anything to do with
>> trick-or-treating with me.  :)
>>
>> But then, I already ranted on
>> this<https://plus.google.com/**u/0/106422711035746240826/**
>> posts/FJVZimkxnrJ<https://plus.google.com/u/0/106422711035746240826/posts/FJVZimkxnrJ>
>> >,
>>
>> so I'll stop now.  I replied to the survey as best I could - the options
>> presented did not let me directly express "I will not attend the TPAC, but
>> would like another FTF elsewhere/when", but that's my preference.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Thierry MICHEL<tmichel@w3.org>  wrote:
>>
>>  Chris,
>>> It is difficult to consider  all the different vacation throughout the
>>> world in order to setup such large meeting as TPAC.
>>> In fact the TPAC is also set during a European (worldwide ?) holiday on
>>> Nov 01 (Toussaint) as every year.
>>>
>>> Thierry.
>>>
>>>
>>> Le 19/03/2012 20:18, Chris Wilson a écrit :
>>>
>>>  Just a data point - I've already stated I will not attend the TPAC, due
>>>> to
>>>> it being scheduled (again) over the family-oriented holiday of
>>>> Halloween.
>>>>  (i.e., it is impossible to attend any significant portion of the TPAC
>>>> in
>>>> France and not miss seeing my kids dressed up for Halloween.)  I'd
>>>> prefer
>>>> a
>>>> different FTF venue.
>>>>
>>>> -Chris
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Thierry MICHEL<tmichel@w3.org>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>  We should discuss if the audio WG will meet in Lyon.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -------- Message original --------
>>>>> Sujet: W3C TPAC2012 - Will your group meet in Lyon, France WBS
>>>>> Date de renvoi : Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:30:31 +0000
>>>>> De (renvoi) : chairs@w3.org
>>>>> Date : Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:29:50 +0100
>>>>> De : Alexandra Lavirotte<alex@w3.org>
>>>>> Organisation : W3C
>>>>> Pour : Chairs<chairs@w3.org>, "ab@w3.org"<ab@w3.org>, tag@w3.org, "
>>>>> w3t@w3.org"<w3t@w3.org>
>>>>>
>>>>> Dear Group Chairs, Advisory Board and TAG Members,
>>>>>
>>>>> As we announced last September [1], TPAC2012 will be held in Lyon,
>>>>> France at the Cité Centre de Congrès de Lyon from 29 October through 2
>>>>> November 2012.
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/******Member/chairs/2011JulSep/****<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/****Member/chairs/2011JulSep/**>
>>>>> 0120.**html<https://lists.w3.**org/Archives/**Member/chairs/**
>>>>> 2011JulSep/0120.**html<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/**Member/chairs/2011JulSep/0120.**html>
>>>>> >
>>>>> <https://lists.w3.**org/**Archives/Member/chairs/****
>>>>> 2011JulSep/0120.html<https://**lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/**
>>>>> chairs/2011JulSep/0120.html<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2011JulSep/0120.html>
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> We are asking Group Chairs to start discussions to determine whether
>>>>> and
>>>>> when your
>>>>> group would like to meet during this week.
>>>>> Please complete the wbs questionnaire [2] by 30 April 2012. If you
>>>>> chair
>>>>> more than one group, you will need to appoint an alternate to complete
>>>>> the questionnaire for the other group to avoid overwriting your replies
>>>>> for the first group.
>>>>>
>>>>> [2] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/******wbs/34786/ChairsTPAC2012/<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/****wbs/34786/ChairsTPAC2012/>
>>>>> <htt**ps://www.w3.org/2002/09/**wbs/**34786/ChairsTPAC2012/<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/**wbs/34786/ChairsTPAC2012/>
>>>>> >
>>>>> <http**s://www.w3.org/2002/09/**wbs/**34786/ChairsTPAC2012/<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/**34786/ChairsTPAC2012/>
>>>>> <ht**tps://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/**34786/ChairsTPAC2012/<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34786/ChairsTPAC2012/>
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Schedule for the week:
>>>>>        Group Meetings: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
>>>>>        Plenary Day: Wednesday
>>>>>        AC Sessions: Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday Plenary and Thursday
>>>>> morning
>>>>>
>>>>> There will be a registration fee of 45 EUR per day to defray a portion
>>>>> of the meeting costs.
>>>>> Please refer to the Meeting Overview page [3] for additional details.
>>>>>
>>>>> [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/10/******TPAC/Overview.html<http://www.w3.org/2012/10/****TPAC/Overview.html>
>>>>> <http://www.**w3.org/2012/10/**TPAC/**Overview.html<http://www.w3.org/2012/10/**TPAC/Overview.html>
>>>>> >
>>>>> <http://www.**w3.org/2012/10/**TPAC/Overview.**html<http://w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/Overview.**html>
>>>>> <http://**www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/**Overview.html<http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/Overview.html>
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> We look forward to another successful meeting.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>> Alexandra.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>


http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal
views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
on it and notify the sender immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
Received on Tuesday, 20 March 2012 21:40:48 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 21:40:49 GMT