Re: audio delay node max delay time

From: Yotam Mann <yotammann@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:30:33 -0800
Cc: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, "public-audio@w3.org" <public-audio@w3.org>
To: "Liu, Raymond" <raymond.liu@intel.com>

> About the upper limit, I guess there had to be some limits, since buffer say more than 1000s data for a bit-rate around 100-200KB/s might be a good way to kill your memory quickly.
> I also see some potential uses for maybe tens of seconds delay to give a chance for real time analysis and prepare some visual effect which need an animation and need to be sync upon the rhythm. While I am curious on what kind of usage might need more than hundreds or thousands of seconds delay? ;)

I'm imagining a feedback delay or looper application a la Alvin Lucier's "I am sitting in a room" which is a ~90 second tape loop continuously fed back into itself. I think that the any length the standard decides on would be somewhat arbitrary, and possibly inhibit some creative or functional applications.

If the AudioParam were more extensible then it could be customized towards whatever the application needs are.