Re: ProcessedMediaStream demos

From: Chris Double <cdouble@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:35:47 +1300
To: public-audio@w3.org
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Phil Burk <philburk@mobileer.com> wrote:
> PortAudio does a lot. It handles device enumeration, detects underflows and
> overflows, optimizes for low latency, manages the dynamic library interface,
> provide audio timestamps for stream synchronization, etc.

I actually used PortAudio in the original development of audio/video
implementation for Firefox. See here:

At the time I had issues with getting it to work reliably across all
the platforms we supported. I was experiencing various crashes, no
sound playing on optimized builds on Mac OS X and difficulties with
reliable audio playback position on some platforms. I switched to
libsydneyaudio at that point as that library had already been
successfully used in a browser addon version of HTML video/audio that
was being developed by a third party (Xiph). It was a number of years
ago now so the reasons to change made then probably aren't relevant