Re: ProcessedMediaStream demos

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Phil Burk <philburk@mobileer.com> wrote:

> PortAudio does a lot. It handles device enumeration, detects underflows and
> overflows, optimizes for low latency, manages the dynamic library interface,
> provide audio timestamps for stream synchronization, etc.

I actually used PortAudio in the original development of audio/video
implementation for Firefox. See here:

<http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/07/patch-for-video-element-support-in.html>
<http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/08/firefox-video-element-patch-version-4.html>

At the time I had issues with getting it to work reliably across all
the platforms we supported. I was experiencing various crashes, no
sound playing on optimized builds on Mac OS X and difficulties with
reliable audio playback position on some platforms. I switched to
libsydneyaudio at that point as that library had already been
successfully used in a browser addon version of HTML video/audio that
was being developed by a third party (Xiph). It was a number of years
ago now so the reasons to change made then probably aren't relevant
now.

--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz