Re: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Jussi Kalliokoski <
jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:

> I put together a gist in the form of IDL of what MIDI in the browser could
> look like, respective of MediaStreams Processing API and getUserMedia API.
> Excuse my weak skills in IDL, I hope it suffices to introduce my idea. It's
> also a bit incomplete, for example, it doesn't describe how to actually
> push the midi stream to the MediaStreamProcessor, because I haven't thought
> of a good way to do it yet. I also included an example usage.
>
> https://gist.github.com/1752949
>
> Feedback appreciated.

To make sure you can get MIDI data for all input streams to a
ProcessedMediaStream, I'd give each MediaInputBuffer an array of MIDIEvent
objects comprising the MIDI data for the first MIDI track, and give
ProcessMediaEvent a writeMIDI() method that lets you write an array of
MIDIEvents to the stream output. Maybe it's necessary to support multiple
output MIDI tracks for a single stream?

Also, ProcessMediaEvent already has an 'inputTime', which probably means
the same thing as "sampleTime".

We also need to discuss whether main-thread access to MIDI data streams is
worth having. Most of the time you want the latency and performance
benefits of handling the data in a Worker, and it's trivial to have a
worker send and receive data to the main thread if needed, so a dedicated
main-thread API may not be needed.

There's a whole separate conversation to be had about how devices should be
accessed and enumerated and how the UI could work. This is mostly an
API-independent issue. In general it's probably best if the app can specify
its requirements declaratively up front --- e.g., the sort of devices it
wants to talk to --- and let the browser, interacting with the user, decide
which devices to connect to (and remember that decision between runs). That
reduces the amount of trust the user has to give the app.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us
our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not
sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us." [1 John
1:8-10]