RE: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

From: Tom White \(MMA\) <lists@midi.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:08:53 -0800
To: "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>, "'Chris Wilson'" <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: "'Joseph Berkovitz'" <joe@noteflight.com>, "'Robin Berjon'" <robin@berjon.com>, <public-audio@w3.org>, "'Dom Hazael-Massieux'" <dom@w3.org>, <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
> I believe that the MIDI folks would welcome such an API, based
> on my conversations with them.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong,
> Tom.)

Yes. (As in you're not wrong <g>).

FYI, our Technical Standards Board just discussed this today and
they agree this is an excellent opportunity for the MIDI industry
and will ask MMA members for input on the requirements...

> I also think there is interest in allowing for rendering of
> Standard MIDI Files (SMF)...

Yes, and because many (but not all) web-enabled devices include
a local General MIDI renderer, we think accessing that would be
a good place to start, but developers will want to be able to
use other renderers (external hardware; in the browser; etc.).

Tom White
MMA