MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases)

Forking subject.

So I can see the following enumeration/creation scenarios for MIDI:

- Enumerating MIDI interfaces present on the device (e.g. I have several
multi-port MIDI interfaces present, this lets me enumerate each input or
output, likely get unique IDs for each one (so a developer could maintain
MIDI config profile).
- Creating a virtual output port (e.g. a developer wants to create a
software synth program that, while running, creates a new device output for
other programs to enumerate) with some form of unique ID
- Creating a virtual input port (e.g. a developer wants to create a
sequencer program that, while running, creates a new device input for other
programs to enumerate) with some form of unique ID

Questions for the MIDI devs here-
- Is the "synth" output designation in Windows useful?  The #voices, type
of synth, etc?  Seems a bit overdone, to me.  It would seem like being able
to tell "this is a software synth" would be useful - although
- How about the MIDI device manufacturer/product ID?  Driver version #?
- Windows MIDI mapper.  This always seemed overblown to me; and, of course,
you can just use it as a device in Windows.  I don't think we need special
exposure, as in the Windows APIs.  Thoughts?

My off-the-cuff feeling, BTW, is that there should be a commonality of
pattern between audio port enumeration and MIDI port enumeration, but I
think they will end up as separate APIs.

-C