RE: getUserMedia use cases

From: Tom White \(MMA\) <lists@midi.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:25:01 -0800
To: "'Robin Berjon'" <robin@berjon.com>, <public-audio@w3.org>, "'Dom Hazael-Massieux'" <dom@w3.org>
Chris Rogers said

it would be good to have an introspection API to enumerate the available
audio devices for both audio input and output.  A built-in microphone would
be one such device.  Also commonly available is the line-in analog audio
input on a laptop or desktop computer.  And, of course, any externally
connected multi-channel USB or Firewire audio devices.  Some of these can
present eight (or more) simultaneous audio input and output channels
simultaneously.
It's important to not consider audio input in isolation, but also audio
output capabilities when enumerating the devices.

I can't help but point out that MIDI devices (software and hardware ports)
are commonly used for audible* input/output and thus would also be a
candidate for enumeration...

Tom White
www.midi.org

*I say "audible" instead of "audio" so there is no confusion between MIDI
and audio <g>