Re: New draft WG charter

Le 01/06/2012 02:31, Doug Schepers a écrit :
> Hi, Thierry–
>
> I think you were reading the already-revised version of the charter,
> which reflected the conversation from the telcon.

I have been reading the *latest* version at the time of my previous
email. My review and proposals applied to that version.

A couple of comments inline...

> A couple of comments inline...
>
> On 5/31/12 3:11 AM, Thierry MICHEL wrote:
>>

>> Le 30/05/2012 23:25, olivier Thereaux a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As we were beginning our teleconference call today, Doug shared a
>>> first pass at our new draft charter:
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/charter/2012/charter-proposed.html
>>>
>>> Please have a read and comment/suggest in the next few days.
>>>
>>> A few things we noted on the call:
>>>
>>> * It is no longer necessary to mention the incubator (since we are
>>> re-chartering the existing WG)
>>> * The scope section should mention the goals of the MIDI work
>>> * The deliverables list should include the use cases and requirements
>>> doc
>>
>> It already mentions it as other non-normative documents, in section 2.1
>>
>> It currently lists "Test suites for each specification", but it should
>> also say "implementation report".
>
> Added.

There is some wording in the 1.1 section Success Criteria, but I don't
see any mention of "implementation report" in the section "Other
non-normative documents may be created such as": It only mentions Testsuite.

>>> * The expected milestones for the web audio API should be, per our
>>> latest discussions:
>>> FPWD: Dec 2011
>>> LC: Q4 2012
>>> CR: Q2 2013
>>> PR: Q4 2013
>>> REC: Q4 2013
>>
>> The expected milestones for the MIDI Device Communication API should
>> also be extended.
>
> I don't think so... Olivier, please correct me if those are wrong, too.

These MIDI milestones may have been discussed during my leave, and I
have missed it (not yet catch up on all my emails). Do you have a
pointer to that ?

I am only highlighting that the MIDI spec is planed to publish its first
Public draft Q3 2012 (9 months after the PFWD of Web Audio API Dec 2011)
and it is planned to reach CR Q2 2013 (at the same time as the MIDI spec).
This seem very optimistic, under these considerations:
- The Web Audio API spec was elaborated a long time before it became a
FPWD in the Audio WG, during the incubator Group. There are already
implementations.

- Currently the MIDI spec is only a initial draft. The implementation
experience is low.

I certainly will not oppose to these milestones, just checking that they
are credible.

>> The following Note mentions "initial schedule", but we should also
>> mentions deliverable changes (this is why we are indeed requesting a
>> charter renewal).
>>
>> "Note: The group will document significant changes from this initial
>> schedule on the group home page. "
>>
>> I would say:
>>
>> Note: The group will document significant changes from its initial
>> charter [ adding here a link to the initial charter] on the group home
>> page.
>
> I added a link to the wiki, and to the initial charter elsewhere, but
> didn't use this precise wording.

OK.

>>> (which I guess changes the end date of the new charter?)
>>
>> Right. plus we need to include 6 months after Rec.
>
> I think current end date is roughly accurate; we'll revise it after we
> know more from the review.

If both specs reach REC as planned before end 2013, the current end date
of the charter "01 July 2014" is accurate in consideration of a   6
months after Rec phase.

Best,

Thierry.